my card

my card

Monday, August 18, 2014

First week

In Provo dropping Jeff off at the MTC
Missionary work is CRAZY!

This has honestly been one of the most insane weeks of my life. Since the day I got here, it has been go, go, go, nonstop. There is just so much that has to be done. Our phone is always ringing, and we are constantly running from place to place. It's great!

I left the MTC on Tuesday morning at 6:10, and after a long day of planes and trains and cars, I finally got out of the Halifax airport at about 2:30 Wednesday Morning.

With our teachers the last day at the MTC
 
Wednesday was an interesting day. after finally going to bed at about 3:10, we got to sleep in until 6:55. It was fantastic! It was such a long day of getting all of the logistics out of the way. It was just hours of orientation meetings, and training videos. At about 5:00 we were picked up by some missionaries that we were going to be working with for the day, and we went out street contacting. That is such a weird experience, but I'm going to have to get used to it. It's so strange approaching people like that. But I guess that is just the life of a missionary.. Wednesday night we spent in the mission home too, because transfers are on Thursdays around here.
The group of 18 Missionaries that arrived August 12 - or early August 13th
 
 
Thursday morning we got up at 4:15 so we could all get showered, packed, and be out the door leave for the mission office by 6:15. We got to the mission office, and waited for a while to be told what to do. Transfers don't happen until later in the afternoon, so we were assigned a temporary companion to work with, and were sent out to work. There is so much driving in Canada. Everything is so spread out! After forever of driving, we made it to the Eastern Passage around Halifax, go out and did a little door knocking. Honestly, that is so much worse than street contacting.
 
 But I figure with enough time, I'll get a little less awkward with that, and be able to kick some serious butt! Finally we went back to the Mission home, and I was given my real companion... Drum roll please... Elder Blum! He is a great guy, and I'm really happy I get to work with him. He has only been out for 6 weeks himself, so it's an interesting ride, but I love the guy, it's great! We had one dinner appointment, and one teaching appointment that night, so there was no settling in at the apartment, it was just get up an go!
So Much Ocean.....
Friday was another fun day.  We did all of our personal studies, went out to take on the world. I got to meet some of our less active members, and there are some interesting people we get to work with... I really don't know where to even start with some of the people we work with, honestly the best I can give is that they are... Interesting... That is really the best I've got for ya.

Saturday was probably the most insane day ever. We were bouncing from appointment to appointment like we do, and we go a phone call from one of the men we had been working with. His 19 year old son had beaten him up and he had been in the hospital all day. We then had to make time in our schedule to go and deal with a domestic abuse situation... That was strange.. Not something I ever dreamed I would have do do out here. But, I guess we go where The Lord needs us to. Then I got to meet the strangest one yet. He was very good at telling me all of my flaws, and then letting me know that I am perfect just the way I am, because I am who God wanted me to be... That was a weird visit. 
Picture for our Mission FB page

Sunday. Finally Sunday. The day of rest. Unless you are a missionary, then Sunday is optimal finding time. So many meetings to attend, and people to get to know. Church was a freaking battle field. Apparently even when you have missionaries in your ward every week, it's still a novelty to have them around. EVERYONE wants to talk to you, or introduce themselves, or give you something. Its so crazy!

Honestly, this week has been one of the weirdest, hardest, most fun adventures of my life. I'm so pumped for the next 2 years! Even when the hard times come, you just have to have faith in The Lord and keep moving. This too shall pass. It's going to be awesome!!!

Have an awesome week everyone. 

Don't do drugs, stay in school, only you can prevent forest tires. Hockey Hockey, Moose Moose, Maple Leaf, Sorry, eh?

Elder Jeffry Nielsen

PS. Canadians do not say Eh? all the time... That is a myth. I learned that yesterday in Ward Council. The amount of times I heard the phrase "Stupid Americans" Thrown around... Insane.... 

Love yall :D

No comments:

Post a Comment